Today’s topic of discussion involves some of the more advanced tips for playing online Poker. Now, most of you(by now) should already know about some of the more basic tips(if you have read some of the other content I have written). The following tips listed below are designed to bring you more confidence as a Poker player. The basic rules I have already explained still apply, but I want to delve into some more advanced ways of thinking.
1) The first thing you need is to play very few hands. Poker playing is not something that will bring you a lot of luck if you have several hands going at once. Let’s talk about Texas Hold ‘Em for a second. There are only so many hands you can do before the flop. Otherwise, you are going to go through the stack like a nurse at a blood drive. The only way this will not happen is if luck is on your side, and that is very rare. The goal is to develop a good strategy before the flop. You can find charts online to help you. Some argue that you should try to play all your hands aggressively, even the ones that seem “suspect”. The reason they argue the approach is that the other players are not going to see what is coming. You can disguise things easily.
2) Now, let’s talk about limping. The goal is not to be the first one to do that. Most players who are first to call the big blind pre-flop are going to lose, and here is why. You can only win the pot if choose to raise instead of limp. You are also going to give the other players better odds. More players will come in from behind. That sets you up to be less likely to win. That is why you never become the first player to limp in the game. Let one of the other players do it. That way you gain a competitive edge over them.
3) Let’s talk about semi-bluffing. You have to keep your bluffing strategies under control(whether you are semi-bluffing or full-on bluffing). You have to mean bluff. You cannot just bluff for the sake of it. Some players like to try to bluff(or semi-bluff) just to see what happens. This is not a strategy that you can “wing it” on. You need to know how and when to bluff, and you need to do it aggressively. Some of the better hands to bluff with include the straight and flush draws. You can also do it with an overcard(or two)sitting on the board, but that is for the really advanced player. Bluffing is a very tricky thing to do. You have to know what you are doing(as I have said before in other content). You need to let the cards dictate whether or not you are going to bluff(or semi-bluff). You can learn more about bluffing by clicking https://upswingpoker.com/semi-bluff-poker-strategy/. The bottom line is: You have to learn how to bluff before you can actually start to bluff. That goes for all Poker players, including the advanced players. Some advanced players start to think they can just “do it” because they are more advanced. As I stated before, you need to keep control of your hand and everything you do during Poker.
4) You will have to defend yourself when you do the big blinds. Here are some things to keep an eye on. Keep an eye on the position of the person who raises. Most advanced players learn to play tight in the beginning and looser in the end. You have to watch the number of players you have. Say, for example, that at least one(maybe more) players have called a raise. That is when you start playing much tighter with your hands. You also need to play with hands that work well with different pot levels. Playing with a hand that only works with one pot is not going to cut it. Watch out for the size of the raise. Play tight for larger pots and looser for smaller ones(if that makes sense). Though there are other things to pay attention to, these are the most important elements for the game.
5) What should you do if you are unsure of what to do? The best advice I can give is to fold. I know that might not be what you wanted to hear, but it is the best thing to do. This is what separates the good Poker players from the amateur ones. Amateur players are going to stay in the game, even if they know they are beaten. It is like the have something to prove. A good Poker player is going to know when to walk away. Some players will start to “call” way too much(especially during a bad hand). Yeah, you do not want to do that. A good player knows when he or she is beaten. They have played long enough to spot the signs.
One final tip
Is another player showing weakness? That is why you begin the attack. However, you want to do it constructively. Do not get cocky about it. You have already lost when your ego gets involved.